DIA Blog 004 - My Unexpected Way Of Celebrating Thanksgiving In Vietnam by Noogie

by Noogie

Thanksgiving has just arrived and for the first time since I’ve been here I felt like celebrating the holiday. To me, celebrating means getting my grub on with the traditional Thanksgiving food.

Luckily… there was a lovely cafe nearby that was serving Thanksgiving dinner all month long. L'Usine served a fantastic roasted turkey with gravy, roasted sweet potatoes, fried potatoes, steamed broccoli, and of course some cranberry sauce. Absolutely delicious! 

Thanks L’Usine for some awesome Thanksgiving grub!

After taking a moment to reflect on my Thanksgiving experiences from back home, I thought it would be nice to share Thanksgiving with some people in Vietnam who have no idea what it’s all about.

To help my coworkers understand the American holiday of Thanksgiving, I decided to cook some Thanksgiving dishes for them to enjoy at the office. 


Understanding that the food may be too bland and different for the local’s taste buds, I made enough for everyone to just have a small sample of the food a lot of Americans enjoy every year.

Finding all of the ingredients was surprisingly not too difficult. There are some gourmet stores that imports ingredients from around the world and since they knew it was Thanksgiving in America, they had everything I needed.

What I ended up cooking for the team was mini-turkey sandwiches with mayo, cranberry sauce, turkey, and LOADS of stuffing. For the sides, I decided to go with a green bean casserole and homemade mac & cheese.


Just a sampler… not the full-course!


Come get some! The Thanksgiving spread at the office

Surprisingly, the food got positive reviews. The sandwiches were killer and the stuffing was a low-key favorite for most of the team. So all in all, it was quite a success.

I thought for sure I would need to take home more than 50% of what I brought, but I ended up taking home only 10%. Niiiiice!

Looks like the younger generation has a very open mind when it comes to food.

Everyone was super-appreciative of being able to try turkey for the first time and to sample some staples that many Americans love and enjoy.

I’m definitely looking forward to the next session I get to cook for the team. I’ll take more photos for sure :D

That wraps up my first post, hope you guys enjoyed it! How was your Thanksgiving? Drop a comment and let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIA Blog 019 - Living Life With Rocks In Your Shoes by H8R

DIA Blog 016 - Get Fit Without The Gym! Why Expats NEED To Work Out And How To Find The Right Plan For You by H8R